An online survey of over 1000 parents who have children with speech, language and communication needs was carried out by ICAN and The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT).
Around 60% of the parents surveyed, had to fight to get speech and language therapy needs supported for their children’s difficulties! If they were lucky enough to get some support, they felt it was insufficient speech and language therapy. More than 50% of parents found they had to wait over 6 months for their child to be seen.
It was also found that 55% of parents surveyed said that when children were finally offered the support they had been waiting for, it was not enough.
The lack of speech, language and communication support can has a detrimental impact on children’s education and mental well-being. Why should children have to wait to be able to communicate?
There are over 1.4 million children and young adults in the UK that need support and unfortunately they are not all receiving it as there is insufficient speech and language therapy. There has been an ongoing cut in spending when it comes to speech and language therapy and according to the Guardian in June 2019, 1 in 5 children aged 5 years old, is behind in speech and language development.
Howver, all is not lost, Talk With Us can help! So that parents no longer have to fight to receive speech and language therapy for their children. We have no waiting lists.
- We work with children from 3 -18 years old in North London
- We provide school and home visits or appointments in our clinic in Temple Fortune, North West London Contact
- We work collaboratively with Local Authorities (such as Barnet, Harringey, Enfield and Brent) and schools as well as parents
- We provide a bespoke service for each individual child.
We can help children to:
- Understand what others say
- Remember words and what they mean
- Put words together to make sentences
- Pronounce words correctly (as expected for their age)
- Interact socially with others
- Develop phonological awareness skills
- Improve auditory memory skills
- Develop life skills and independence
If you need any support, please give us a call and we would be very happy to discuss anything.